Sunrise of Philadelphia, a Pennsylvania 21st Century Learning Center, provides afterschool/summer services for students in Philadelphia in grades Kindergarten through 12th Grade. We operate from our administrative office and currently run programming at four satellite sites: Southwark School, South Philadelphia High School and Francis Scott Key School.
We offer the following services:
- Southwark School Programs (Grades K-8)
- Key Elementary School Programs (Grades K-5)
- South Philadelphia High School Programs (Grades 9-12)
- Early Childhood Education
- Summer Camp
1835 S. 9th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148
E-mail: Southwark [at] SunriseofPhila.org
Our current Southwark programming includes:
1. Elementary School—Licensed Kindergarten through 5th Grade care that includes afterschool and summer programming focused on academic enrichment, embracing identity and cultural diversity, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math), music, socio-emotional learning through morning and afternoon "meetings", ELL support, Literacy (school year POSTLI site and KidzLit students, summertime participants of the Free Library of Philadelphia's "Read by 4th" Campaign), technology time and outdoor recreation.
2. Sunrise Middle School— After School and Summer Program activities engage sixth to eighth grade students in Structured Activities and 21st Century Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) workshops in high-interest areas such as DJing/beat-making, LEGO Robotics and Minecraft Programming. Additional activities include Debate Club, partnerships with community organizations such as ArtWell, Mural Arts, FirstHand Philly and the Claymobile. We also offer technology, free time, outdoor recreation and homework help. Through weekly JumpStart workshops, participants explore career interests, build 21st Century skills, and learn about options for high school and accessing college. Targeted JumpStart summer programming also supports students entering high school to develop the academic and social competencies to survive and thrive in high school.
2230 S 8th St, Philadelphia, PA 19148
E-mail: WTsang [at] SunriseofPhila.org
Elementary School Programs-
Sunrise's Elementary School Programming at Francis Scott Key School is available year-round. With our Afterschool and Summer programs, our goal is to improve the Litteracy abilities and reading levels of the students of Key School. By utilizing pre-built activities, we can build literacy skills while maintaining a fun and safe environment. Programming includes STEAM activities, outdoor recreation, ASAP Scrabble, ASAP Drama, and Literacy based curriculum such as KidzLit and Read by 4th.
2101 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148
E-mail: SPHS [at] SunriseofPhila.org
High School Programs—
High school participants attend a variety of after school clubs, all of which are aligned to prepare them for college and career success post graduation. A unique opportunity that we offer is a Child Development program, which awards students with a CDA certification upon completion of the program. Another core element of our high school programming is Credit Recovery services offered afterschool and over the summer to help students catch up on credits and stay on track to on-time graduation. A new addition to this year's opportunities is our Inclusion Program, which is aimed to integrate students with special needs into programs such as Beats and Rhymes, Media/Podcast Club and Gardening alongside our mainstream population of students. Additional wrap-around services and opportunities—such as our Teen Lounge, which offers a safe space for students to not only engage with their peers but have the opportunity to look into college and future career paths.
More information coming soon!
Applications areavailable on our Parents page- they can also be picked up at our sites as of April 2017.
Sign up for our newsletter for updates!